In SolidWorks making a spring is a very simple and easy task. We will focus on the steps needed to make a spring in SolidWorks.
The steps needed are as follows:
- Start by opening a new part file.
- Make a line in the front plane as shown. The dimension of the line should be equal to the height of the spring.
- Now make a circle in the front plane in another sketch. Keep in mind that the dimension of the circle will be following the spring dimension.
- Exit the sketch and choose the sweep option.
- Now choose the sketches and go to “options”.
- Keep the profile orientation as “Follow path”. Also, choose the Profile Twist as “Specify twist value”.
- As soon as you choose to Specify twist value, the Twist control option appears in the drop-down choose ” Revolutions”.
- After selecting the revolutions in direction 1 enter the number of spirals needed.
- You will see the preview of the spring.
Here is the final spring in SolidWorks. This is the easiest method to make a spring. You can also use other methods like helix function but that would be a complex method.
Note: Keep in mind this method will only make a spring with a constant pitch. If you have to make a spring with the variable pitch you need to look for other methods